What, Why and When?
On 2 January 2019, our gas rates will change for our customers in Victoria. Our electricity rates won’t change.
Our following customers won’t be affected by the rate change:
- All customers on our Rate Fix plan
- All customers on our No Frills plan
- All customers on our Secure Saver plan
- Our Managed Builder Partners
- Any of our customers in QLD, NSW, ACT & SA.
For existing customers
We’ll have your new rates available on MyRates from 10 December 2018 and 31 January 2019. You’ll be able to return to this page during this time and log in with your account details to see your new rates. We’ll also send you an email or letter to let you know about the rate change and to log in to see your new rates.
For new customers
Our new rates will be available online from 2 January 2019. You’ll also be able to contact us on 1800 001 772 Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.30pm AEDT, from this date.
Your new rates will appear on the first bill issued to you from 2 January 2019.
You’ll also be able to return to this page between 10 December 2018 and 31 January 2019. Simply log in with your account details to see your new rates.
No. There’ll be no other changes to our fees and charges.
The amount your gas bill will change by will depend on your usage, the energy plan you're on and the distribution area you live in.
If you return to this page between 10 December 2018 and 31 January 2019 and log in with your account details, you’ll be able to see an average estimate of how much the change to your gas bills may be.
Remember, your existing discounts, rebates or payment plans will remain unchanged.
By following our blog, you may be able to save on your energy bills.
Energy travels through four main stages on its journey from generation to the point where you turn on a switch. Each stage incurs costs that are passed on to you via your energy bill. It is changes in these four main areas that generally influence energy rate changes. These include:
- Wholesale costs – to purchase electricity and gas from generators and producers
- Network costs – charged by distributors for energy transmission and maintenance of the pipes, poles and wires that delivers your energy
- Retail costs – charged by us for servicing and billing your account
- Other costs – incurred by us to comply with government schemes such as the Renewable Energy Target
To find out more, take a look at our video, ‘How energy gets to you’.
The rates used to calculate your energy bills are made up of both usage rates and supply charges.
- The supply charge is a fixed daily service charge to supply energy to your home or small business
- Usage charges are rates charged for the energy you use. Some tariffs have different usage rates depending on the time of day and day of the week you use energy.
Rates are also known as tariffs. For more information go to our tariff pages.
Most energy retailers review their rates annually:
- in Victoria rate changes usually occur in January
- in Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory and South Australia they tend to happen in July.
You can have important notices, including information about rate changes sent direct to your email inbox. Here’s how:
- register/log in to My Account at energyaustralia.com.au/myaccount
- update your ‘bill delivery preference’ to email, to receive your bills and rate change notices via email
- update your ‘communication preference’ to email, to receive important information about your account via email
When you register for My Account, you’ll also receive alerts about upcoming rate changes once you log in.
If you plan on joining us before 2 January 2019, we’ll send you a welcome pack with all the important information, such as the energy plan details and current rates you agreed to. You will be charged these rates until our rates change (unless you switch to our Secure Saver, No Frills or Business Rate Fix energy plans).
Your new rates will appear on the first bill issued to you after our rates change, together with a message reminding you of the rate change.
If you’re planning on joining us after 2 January 2019, your welcome pack will include the new rates.
All our new rates will be listed here from 2 January 2019. Or, you can call us on 1800 001 772 (Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.30pm AEDT).
Your bill will be split pro-rata:
- all rates and charges before and after the change will be detailed on the bill
- your bill will be calculated with the old rates for any of the billing period before the rate change date
- your bill will be calculated with the new rates for the billing period after the rate change date.
The short answer is yes.
A Regular Pay plan is a convenient way to pay your energy bills. Here’s how it works:
- you arrange to pay an instalment amount each week, fortnight or month
- you continue to receive your bills as usual. They’ll show how well your payments are covering your actual usage and charges
- we check to make sure you’re not paying too much or too little, and get in touch if anything needs to change.
We’re all for helping you find smarter ways to use energy.
Just head to our ‘Better Energy’ blog to find tips on how to reduce your energy bills, info on going solar, the latest on battery storage and more.
There’ll be no changes to concessions.
There’ll be no changes to PureEnergy GreenPower.
No. The Solar feed-in tariff remains unchanged at 9.9c/kWh (excl. GST).
We also offer Time of Use feed-in tariffs in Victoria. You can get almost triple the standard retailer tariff when demand for electricity is highest.
Yes, the cost of your bulk hot water will change on 2 January 2019. You’ll find this rate on your rate change letter or your bill issued from the 2 January 2019.