There are several options to help you pay your energy accounts. You can:
- request a payment extension for a week or two
- set up an instalment plan to smooth out your payments
Personalised instalment plan
We have two options that can help you manage your energy account payments. You can:
- pay your energy accounts in regular, affordable instalments
- make payments as you go and make up the difference when you get your bill
Call us on 133 466 to discuss the option that will suit you best.
Energy saving ideas
Use our energy saving tips to help you save energy and money.
Our EnergyAssist Program
Financial hardship can happen to anyone – that’s why we take steps to make things easier for you to get back on track. If you’re impacted by long-term financial hardship, we have payment arrangements to suit your situation. We can also:
- remove your accounts from our standard credit and collection activities – including disconnection and any debt recovery action
- help you apply for government grants or any other assistance schemes that may be available to you
- give you energy-saving tips to help reduce your energy bills
- give you details of an financial counsellor to help manage your finances
When you call, we will:
- ask you basic questions about your financial position and the circumstances relating to your financial difficulties. This helps us assess your eligibility for an instalment plan.
- try to work out how much you’re able to pay. This helps us tailor a plan that best suits your circumstances.
Many community organisations, community legal centres, and some government agencies offer free financial counselling.
To find a financial counsellor in your state, call 1800 007 007 or visit the Government’s MoneySmart web site.
Additional assistance for Victorian customers
In addition to the assistance outlined above, Victorian customers can access additional assistance under the Payment Difficulty Framework (PDF), effective as of 1 January, 2019. This framework includes new rules aimed at assisting customers experiencing payment difficulties to help them in the repayment of any of their outstanding debt and ongoing energy costs.
These options could include:
- Setting up a personally tailored payment plan based on your energy usage;
- Providing information on any concessions you may be eligible for;
- Providing advice on energy efficiency to help you reduce your energy bills;
- Working with you to reduce your ongoing energy usage and potentially pause any payments towards your outstanding balance for a set period of time; and
- Victorian state government assistance through the Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS) for customers unable to pay their energy bills due to a short term financial crisis or emergency. Find out more about the Victorian Government Utility Relief Grant Scheme.
Live chat is currently unavailable.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
To register for My Account, you'll need your Account Number (which can be found on your EnergyAustralia bill), an email address and some ID handy, like a Driver's Licence or Medicare Card, so that we can verify your identity.
You will also be asked to set up a password for your My Account.
You can register now at My Account.
We use data collected from a sample of our customers, across all states in which we operate, and who have been with us for at least 9 months. We have calculated the total energy costs of similar households from the hundreds of thousands of customers sampled and divided that sum by the total number of customers. Using that as a base we have calculated the approximate energy costs for similar households for each month/quarter.
We then apply the rates for your zone, service charges, and any discounts which come with the plan you select. All these can differ from area to area, state to state, and in some cases even from winter to summer.
The simple part is that we do all the calculating. Our aim is to provide you with an indication of what customers of similar households living in your area could expect to pay on average per month/per quarter. It should not be used as an official quote. The amount you actually pay will be based on your individual energy usage.
If you just need an extra week or two to pay a typical bill you can request a payment extension through:
We will automatically adjust the due date. You’ll just need to enter your account details and some information that can be found on your current bill. Contact us if you’re having greater difficulty paying your bill and would like to discuss your options.