Letting us know about your experience with us helps to improve the way we do business: our systems, policies and procedures. If you have feedback, or an issue you'd like us to resolve, below is the information you need to contact us and how we can work together.
We understand that your time is valuable, so in response to some common questions from our customers, we've provided answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
Ways to give feedback
1. Speak to our customer service team
Call our customer service team. To get the best out of your call with us, please have your account number handy and any specific information about your issue.
- For residential customers, call 133 466
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm AEST
- For small business customers, call 1800 146 749
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm AEST
- For large business customers call 1300 362 466
Monday to Friday 8.00am to 5.00pm AEST
- For language assistance, call 1300 622 718
2. Give us your feedback in writing
If you prefer to document your feedback or complaint, please get in touch using our general enquiries form below, select the relevant drop-down option 'Complaints', and one of our complaints handling team will be in touch.
Here are some tips to ensure your experience runs as smoothly as possible.
- Have your account number ready. You will find your account number on your bill.
- Gather the facts. Compile as much information as you can, including the outcome you're seeking, and details of any interactions you've had with us.
- Have a pen handy. Sometimes we'll need to provide instructions on how to read your meter or look at the energy usage of appliances, so you may want to write things down.
What happens if you make a complaint?
When we receive a complaint:
- We'll record the details of your complaint. We'll give it fair and genuine consideration and seek to achieve a fair outcome for both parties
- If your complaint is received in writing, we'll acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 10 business days
- For complaints specifically related to credit, we will provide an acknowledgement and response in accordance with the regulatory requirements under the Credit Reporting Code. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner
- Your complaint will be allocated to one of our complaints handling team
- We'll enquire into your complaint within a reasonable time frame, taking into account the nature and complexity of your complaint
- We'll keep you informed of any progress via your preferred communication channel – or if you don't specify, we'll contact you by the same channel that you initially made the complaint.
- If appropriate, we'll make policy changes to prevent the same situation from happening again.
3. If you're not satisfied with the outcome
We hope that we've done our very best to resolve your issue. If the complaint is not resolved, you may take the complaint to the relevant external dispute resolution body (i.e. the relevant ombudsman).
We're a member of the Energy and Water Ombudsman schemes in all states where we have a licence. The Ombudsman scheme is a free service and acts as an impartial conciliator to help resolve disputes between customers and energy companies.
The Ombudsman will want to know that we've worked together to try and resolve the issue as best as possible and will refer you to our customer service team if you have not contacted us before.
If you're unsure, contact us and let us help.
Live chat is currently unavailable.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
To register for My Account, you'll need your Account Number (which can be found on your EnergyAustralia bill), an email address and some ID handy, like a Driver's Licence or Medicare Card, so that we can verify your identity.
You will also be asked to set up a password for your My Account.
You can register now at My Account.
We use data collected from a sample of our customers, across all states in which we operate, and who have been with us for at least 9 months. We have calculated the total energy costs of similar households from the hundreds of thousands of customers sampled and divided that sum by the total number of customers. Using that as a base we have calculated the approximate energy costs for similar households for each month/quarter.
We then apply the rates for your zone, service charges, and any discounts which come with the plan you select. All these can differ from area to area, state to state, and in some cases even from winter to summer.
The simple part is that we do all the calculating. Our aim is to provide you with an indication of what customers of similar households living in your area could expect to pay on average per month/per quarter. It should not be used as an official quote. The amount you actually pay will be based on your individual energy usage.
If you just need an extra week or two to pay a typical bill you can request a payment extension through:
We will automatically adjust the due date. You’ll just need to enter your account details and some information that can be found on your current bill. Contact us if you’re having greater difficulty paying your bill and would like to discuss your options.