Yallourn Power Station
Yallourn is a brown coal fired power station located Victoria’s Latrobe Valley, 150km east of Melbourne.
A major energy provider
The station supplies approximately 22 percent of needs and approximately eight percent of the National Electricity Market (NEM).
The Yallourn W power station commenced operations in 1974 with four generating units commissioned between 1974 and 1982. Yallourn W represents the last in a long line of generation plant at the Yallourn site, with initial power generation commencing in the mid 1920’s.
Every hour 2400 tonnes of brown coal is used to boil water into superheated steam to drive four turbine generators. These turbines have a combined rated capacity of 1480 megawatts of electricity which is enough to supply around two million homes. The power station employs a closed loop cooling system utilising hyperbolic cooling towers.
Yallourn’s open cut mine
Australia’s second largest open cut mine is adjacent to the Yallourn power station and annually mines around 18 million tonnes of high moisture brown coal. The mine has ample reserves to meet the projected needs of the power station until 2032.