Choosing the right energy plan is about more than just the discount.
There’s lots to take into account when working out which plan is right for you. You need to think about your lifestyle, what type of person you are and the level of flexibility you need. Are you thinking about solar power? What about an environmentally friendly choice?
Who lives at your place?
The number of people living in your house, and how they use energy, may affect the type of plan that’s right for you.
- Do you have family and friends coming and going all the time? This may mean that temperature controls, lighting and audio-visual equipment get a real workout.
- Are there children in the house? Teenagers may be more likely to use gaming devices or TVs, or you might leave your baby monitor on 24/7.
- Do you turn up the heating during the cooler months? Do you deal well with the summer sun? The way you use heating and cooling may affect your energy use.
Where do you work?
Australians are working here, there and everywhere – at the office, at home or even at a local cafe. The way you work may affect the energy you use at home.
- If you’re at work most weekdays, you might use most of your energy during shoulder or off-peak times.
- Do you work from home? Using office equipment during the day may mean you use a large amount of energy at peak times.
- Do you travel a lot? Perhaps your place is empty for days, weeks or months at a time.
How do you pay your bill?
Everyone’s different when it comes to paying bills. Some people are great at staying on top of due dates and others are happy to take it down to the wire. One plan may offer a discount for paying bills by the due date, and another may guarantee a constant saving.
Are you living in your dream home, or do you prefer some flexibility? Sometimes you just want to plan for the unexpected. You might want to think about your plans for the future when you’re choosing your energy plan.
- Are there connection or disconnection fees?
- Is there a charge for early exit?
- Are there other special conditions attached to an early exit?
Do you want a green energy option?
You may want to help the environment by adding Green Power to your plan. Our PureEnergy options support the production of electricity from renewable sources – and you can even decide what percentage of accredited GreenPower you’d like us to buy on your behalf.
You might be thinking about solar energy. Depending on which solar scheme applies, if you install a solar power systems you could be eligible for a rebate in addition to government tariffs.
If your energy plan doesn't take all these factors into account, it might be time to reassess.