Solar hot water
Cut down on one of your biggest power costs by getting into solar hot water.
How does solar hot water work?
A solar hot water unit uses the sun's energy to heat water – the same way a bottle of water left sitting in the sun gets hot on a warm day.
Most solar hot water units are made up of solar collectors (which sit on your roof to collect energy from the sun), a water tank and a fluid system that moves the heat from the collectors to the tank. You can convert almost any existing gas or electric water service to solar hot water or install a new solar hot water system.
The five steps to solar hot water
Step 1 Cold water flows into the solar panel
Step 2 The solar panel collects energy from the sun and water heats through the coils
Step 3 Hot water passes through to the tank
Step 4 To ensure water is always hot, the gas or electric booster kicks in when the sun's energy isn't enough
Step 5 Hot water is supplied throughout the house
Solar hot water rebates
There are two types of rebates available:
- Federal Government rebates
- State Government rebates
To be eligible for rebates your new solar hot water system must:
- replace your existing electric storage hot water system
- be a solar or heat pump hot water system eligible for at least 20 Small-scale Technology Certificates (STCs) at the time and place of installation
- be installed by a qualified person, such as an electrician or plumber
- be installed at your main place of residence.
Contact us to find out more.
Splash out on solar hot water installation
Send us your enquiryGet in touch